Range Safety Standard Operating Procedures
It is the responsibility of all range users to know and obey the range safety rules!
Before using the range for the first time, all users must read the Range Safety Standard Operating Procedures (RSSOP), and sign an acknowledgment that they have read, understood and agree to abide by the (RSSOP). Orientation is required before using the range.
1. Shoot only at the down range backstop/berm. All bullets must impact the range backstop. Keep the muzzle low when chambering a round, and come up to your target, not down from a muzzle high approach. Targets must be placed no higher than seven (7) feet and no more than fifteen (15) feet from the base of the backstop/berm.
2. Do not handle or aim firearms when anyone is down range. Ensure the yellow “down range” flag at the end of the firing line is used when anyone is forward of the firing line.
3. Keep all actions open, magazines out and safeties “on” while away from the firing lines or whenever anyone is down range.
4. Any firearms requiring maintenance or sight adjustment shall be pointed down range and cleared of all ammunition. Work may only be performed when all persons have returned to the firing line and no personnel are down range.
5. No one under the age of 16 is to use the range unless supervised by a club member.
6. Pets other than service animals are not allowed on the Ranges unless they are under the full control of owners at all times while on the premises. Owners are expected to clean up after their pets if the waste is located in a well-traveled location.
7. Do not leave litter. Clean up your firing point and backstop before leaving.
8. Do not shoot at bottles, cans, trees, target frames or rocks. Use approved targets only.
9. Any persons within 20 feet of active firing on the ranges must wear appropriate eye and ear protection.
10. Obey any special directives given to you by a representative of this club. The Range Safety Officer’s decisions are not debatable.
11. Report any infraction of these rules to a club representative after you have first reminded the shooter of the infraction and he/she still refuses to comply.
12. Continued infractions of safety regulations may result in revocation of your club membership.
13. Orientation is required before using the range.
14. THINK SAFETY!
15. LOCK THE GATE AND CLUBHOUSE IF YOU ARE THE LAST ONE LEAVING THE PROPERTY.